About Me

We found out at our 20 week ultrasound that our baby boy would be born with a cleft. This is his story.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Dallin's Smile

I asked a friend (another cleft mom) for advice about Dallin's surgery:










"It is hard as a mom because I loved, and still love, that face. When I look back at pictures, it is still beautiful to me. . . I think you will be like I was and want and dream about seeing that little cleft face again, but maybe one day you will, when you will be able to hold someone else's newborn baby who will have a cleft lip and you will be able to comfort that mom because you will love that face like she does. . . This new smile that Dallin will have will be the smile you will know the rest of his life. . . I promise you will love his new smile as much as you love the cleft one. And I promise that you will never forget the cleft one."




I was overcome with sadness today thinking that in just two weeks, I will hand my baby over to a stranger, and I will say goodbye to his sweet, beautiful cleft smile forever. He will come back to me looking completely different. I am going to miss his wide smile so much. This post is so I don't forget.











No comments: